Wednesday, July 29, 2015

5 art journal must haves

I spend a lot of time in my art journals- it is where I work out my ideas, where I experiment, journal and document memories. While I will use anything and everything to create, I thought it would be fun to share 5 of my "must have items" for art journals! They are simple but really important in my process.

1. BIND-IT-ALL BINDER
I prefer to make my own art  journals and since I have an excess of painted paper, I put it to use by binding it into one of a kind journals. I use a binding machine called the Bind-It-All. It makes the entire process super simple and easy. 

I love that I am able to punch holes into my favorite watercolor paper, hand painted paper and photos and turn them into art journals.

2. PRINT LARGE PHOTOS
While I don't consider myself a scrapbooker, I do love using photos in my art journals. One of my favorite ways to use them it to actually print large pictures and then bind them with all the other paper.

I use these large photos alongside my doodles and drawings and I even use them as a surface to draw on.

3. CREATE HOMEMADE TABS
My art journals are typically around 30-40 pages and I really like adding tabs to my favorite pages. I will use just about anything to create a tab but one of my favorites is to use is cut up small mandala drawings for a round tab.

These tabs help me stay organized when I create but they also add a really cool embellishment to my journals!

4. PRINTED PAPER
You will never catch me buying decorative paper because I LOVE to make my own! While I really enjoy painting and drawing on the pages of my art journal, I also like printing out colorful paper that I've made from my original work. I always scan my art, even the the simple things. When I need a colorful background or paper with pattern, I print it out and use it! 

5. DRAW WITH A BRUSH
I spend a lot of time drawing and doodling in my art journals and my must have supply is a brush and black ink. I love the bold lines that you can create with black ink- from drawing to doodling to free writing, using a brush (instead of a pen or pencil) is a great way to break free with your work.


19 comments:

Jane said...

So inspring thanks for sharing your gorgeous pages. The bind it all looks brilliant I must take a look at one as I find most bought journals too restrictive and with paper not suited to my inky work xx

Unknown said...

you always have the best ides. what would we do without your blog?........!

Erin Fish said...

Your creativity is amazing and boundless! Love your ideas!

Stephanie said...

I've been wanting to make my own journals for awhile, you make it look so easy! I'm going to have to look into the bind it all. I also loved your idea for the tabs! The mandalas look so pretty! Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the inspiration!! Can you share what type of printer you use? You seem quite happy with it and we all know it gets a LOT of use!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

VERY cool ideas!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

Fabulous ideas! Thanks

SewPaperPaint said...

Hey Alisa! What kind of ink do you prefer for drawing with a brush? THANKS!

Alisa Burke said...

I use india ink or I will mix up 1/2 acrylic paint 1/2 water- either work great with a brush!

Alisa Burke said...

Hi Michelle, I use a Cannon Pixma Pro-100 for a lot of my art and higher quality prints but I also end up getting prints made at our local Costco!

Unknown said...

Man, I need to get my hands on one of the book binders! I LOVE the idea of creating my own art journals and have so many loose pages that don't have a home... I could make a new journal out of all those pages with a "Bind-it-all!"

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for all the great advice Alisa.

Jill of All Trades said...

Wonderful idea. I so love it.

janeine said...

I have some silly questions.
Could you explain the process of printing your own paper. The scan and incorporate design.
Can you blow up the design to fit a larger sized paper without losing the integrity of the design?

thanks

Peggy Festerling said...

I love these! What is your favorite kind of paper cutter?

halohill.blogspot.com said...

Love this post, Thanks Alisa! So, you use the same printer (Your Canon) for your creative papers that you print out to use in your journal? My printer runs out of ink so quickly and the ink is very expensive. I'm looking for a more economical printer that still does a good job.

Amy Maricle said...

Alisa - As usual I am totally inspired by your post. I never knew about the spiral binding machine. I usually use my own pages and then sew them together for smaller books, or use O rings for larger ones, but this looks much easier!

Cheers,
Amy

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing these awesome ideas...love the mandala tabs idea...

Liane said...

What size wire do you typically use for binding your journals?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails