Tuesday, September 28, 2010

healthy banana bread

IMG_1237

We love banana bread around our house and every few weeks (when there are leftover brown bananas that I don't want to waste) I make a batch of bread. It is easy to tweak a banana bread recipe and make it a little more healthy. This is a favorite that I have been making for a few years- it uses whole wheat flour, substitutes applesauce for oil and comes out delicious.


IMG_1211

  • Start by mixing the dry ingredients together-

    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour- I used whole wheat flour and since using it can produce a dense bread, sifting it a couple of times will let in more air and will help with the density.

    1 teaspoon baking soda

    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

    1 cup white sugar

IMG_1214

Mix throughly.


IMG_1215

Add two eggs,

a

1/3 cup of applesauce,


IMG_3259

4 ripe bananas


IMG_1219

Mash the bananas.


IMG_1221

and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
optional- add raisins or nuts


IMG_1222

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a loaf pan and pour batter into the pan.
Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.


IMG_1224

Let cool,


IMG_1235

slice up and serve.


IMG_1240

IMG_1226


15 comments:

LR said...

my son and i made banana bread this evening as well. i'll definitely try it with applesauce next time.

Marcie said...

I love your banana bread baking dish. I remember having the same one when I was a little girl. The bread sounds yummy too.

Unknown said...

I've just been looking at banana bread recipes! Thanks for sharing this! I also found some good sounding ones in the latest issue of Cooking Light.

Vasavi Suresh said...

Wow, your banana bread looks just wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Johwey Redington said...

I love banana bread. We make it all the time in my house. My recipe is not so healthy though - lol!

daniel the bread guy said...

hi alisa!

i am a big big fan of bananas and unlike most people i am passionate for baking as well. but it looks like i am in good company here. when i saw the pictures you have made for this post i just was smiling, it made me happy. i had to write a post myself on my blog, about the art of baking bread and how much love can be revealed with handcraft.

i am so thankful, that you reminded me of how lucky i am to have found my passion for baking :)

thank you alisa!

p.s. i also put some social bookmark links out there for you!

laurie said...

thanks for the great recipe. i have some of those ripe bananas sitting on my counter right now. :-)

Leah said...

just found your blog - awesome photos, great ideas!!

Sharne Gregory said...

Sounds delish! Will be trying it out.

Lilla said...

I've tried to bake a banana bread once and it was a disaster! I'll try your recipe though - it looks delicious!! :)
xoxo,
Lily

http://lilycupcake.blogspot.com/

Artsy Life by Tracey Brooks said...

Mmmmm, this looks scrumptous!! I will try this recipe.

C. Knack said...

I love your recipes - can't wait to try this one!

pinar said...

so long heard.. never ate or cooked it.. until now.. such an encouraging recipe..
so..

I tried..cooked.. tasted..this weekend..
and I think it was awesome.. =)

thank you so much..=)

skarletgrrl said...

Oh banana bread, so delicious! I can't wait to make some myself... with whole wheat flour and all applesauce & bananas (instead of eggs! Yum!

lekyvijay said...

alisa hi there i baked it nd its yummy but in some portionz it tastes bitter ...could it be due to cinnamon??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails