Monday, October 12, 2009

A Broken Promise

I made myself a promise when I left my job five months ago- that when I worked at home I would always get up in the morning, get dressed, make myself presentable and walk downstairs to my studio as if I were walking into work. As you can see in the photo above, that all fell to the wayside, along with not working at night, on weekends and being more balanced in my life. While completely happy and in bliss that I am FINALLY working as a full artist, I am also struggling BIG time right now with finding a healthy groove. I am learning things about myself that I never knew when I worked jobs for other people- the biggest is that I never really cared that much (sorry old job!). Now that I work for myself, I care too much. I finally have the opportunity to do what I have loved since I was a kid- to create and make things for a living and I am finding that my heart and my passion are wrapped up in everything that I do. While really fulfilling- it is truly exhausting. So with the start of a new week I am taking control of the promises I made, giving myself permission to break a couple of them and find new ways to take better care of myself and my new lifestyle!

5 comments:

Kelly Berkey said...

Oh I so understand this! I work a full time job, but on the weekends I can't seem to find the time to wash my hair let alone brush it!
You look adorable and warm though!
Kelly

Michelle Remy said...

I completely understand where you are coming from in this post...as a full time artist and part time art teacher, I really struggle with finding balance in my days...the good thing though is that all of the struggle is absolutely worth it! Bravo on embracing the artistic life fully! Love, love, love your work! Michelle

jgr said...

I know what you mean! Sometimes I put so much pressure on myself and I get stressed out. Then I remember: I can take things OFF of my (long) to do list. A lesson I have re-learned several times.ha! Congrats on all of your beautiful work!

Kathleen Kibblehouse said...

The thing about being an artist (any kind - writer, chef, etc) is that you have to tend to its needs (sometime demands!) when the "moment" strikes. Because it's filled with emotion and energy, taming it isn't always productive. They say that if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. Maybe routine will stifle your creative mojo. Plus it's still fresh and new (the full time part) so listen to your body, heart, and mind committee. They will tell you when it's time for a break. Then there's the "business" side of this endeavor. And that's where the fun ends...

Margot Potter said...

Ah but my friend, what is awesome about working at home is that you get to wear your PJs to work! I have a similar wardrobe...at least I don't have to worry if I spill paint on myself. In fact my current sweatshirt is covered in chartreuse paint!

Cheers,
Madge

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails