Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honoring my History

The last few years I have been sentimental towards the past- something I NEVER EVER would have thought would happen to me. Growing up was pretty awkward and while I am not one to have many regrets, (I typically just learn and move forward) these days I have felt a fondness for the past (the good and bad), people that were a part of my life and an appreciation for my history. While I do spend A LOT of time back traveling and forth from San Diego to my hometown on the Oregon Coast, this trip was a little different for me because part of the time was spent in Portland - the city where I went to college and experienced what I like to refer to as my "formative years"- the place where I made lots of mistakes and if I did feel regret it would likely be for experiences in P-Town! Getting to kick off my new self employed life teaching at ArtFiberFest in Portland was kinda profound. Teaching validated the love and passion I have for creating and sharing that creativity with others and revisiting a little bit of my history felt important. I spent some time visiting my favorite haunts, streets, places that left a mark on me and my favorite part was meeting up with an old friend to catch up- As I drove back to the coast once AFF ended, I found myself reflecting on how much my life has changed, how much I have grown since my days back in the Portland and how much farther I want to go. Taking the time to honor my history in this trip was the best way I could kick off the next chapter in my life.

1 comment:

Kathleen in PA said...

Ah regrets. I got plenty of them! Every mistake offers a valuable lesson. Growing means we are able to take those lessons and use them to create the life of our dreams! Sounds to me like you are doing just that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails